Monday, December 10, 2007

Design Research: Interior Environments



above: 2 photos of the set on "The Seven Year Itch", released in 1955. Besides the obviously aesthetically pleasing Marilyn Monroe, I have always loved the set for Richard Sherman's apartment in NYC (he's the main character). Right in the middle of the 1950's I would expect more space-age atomic style, but this set design portrays what a realistic everyday household (of a certain income) would look like. I love the soft blues and uses of metallics in the living room. Another fave is the "Stairway to Nowhere" used as a book ledge. While the room is not minimalist in any way, I don't find it to be too cluttered. I think it's close to perfection, actually! (I highly recommend the movie, as well!)


This is an anonymous photo found on the Internet of a children's room. I think the lime green on the walls is very creativity-inspiring, and it seems like a great place to study or do homework. I'm usually a fan of built-ins, and I particularly like how the bunk beds are built in to the cabinetry as well. It makes the beds seem like integral parts of the whole wall system, as opposed to separate entities. Also the maple finish is very light reflective, which aids the cheeriness factor for the whole room.


This Mickey D's would certainly be more interesting to visit than the typically boring and sometimes dirty ones we're used to in the US. This one, outfitted with Jacobsen Egg chairs, is in London. The color choices for the chairs are very bright, and are definitely not the red & yellow you see everyday. Those little marshmallow shaped seats are adorable and are visually not as cluttered as chairs that have backs.



What beautiful lighting! Kudos for the home having this facing (probably west or east) to accentuate these awesome furniture pieces. Already a fan of the Eames molded ply chairs and the Saarinen Womb chair, I find them to be right at home in this room. The red sofa compliments the dark ply chairs and sage of the Womb chair nicely. Neutral wall color is not usually my first pick, but it is a great backdrop to showcase this well thought out room.
Designed by Chris Marzec in Chicago.



This is a courtyard view from a Joseph Eichler home in southern California. A trademark of this builder's homes, the courtyard is treated as another room of the house rather than an outdoor space. I LOVE the floor-to-ceiling windows, a staple in mid-century design. They provide an unobstructed view of the outdoors, and were placed with a desirable view in mind. The use of plants adds a vertical element to draw your eye upward as well as provides some color to the concrete terrace. What I also find pleasing is how the smooth floor in the living space leads right out to the terrace, for an almost seamless transition. The white pod-type furniture adds the finishing mid-century touch to this classic space.



above: from the Entenza House (Charles Eames and Eero Saarinen) in Pacific Palisades, CA.
This is one of the Case Study houses (no. 9) from Arts & Architecture magazine built in 1949. The oval coffee table, low to the floor, and simple clean sofa are elements I find attractive in mid century design. Again, I dig those floor-to-ceiling windows to show off the view.

1 comment:

Ashely said...

"Hello,

I'd appreciate if you can give me some feedback on our site: www.regencyshop.com
I realize that you are a bar stools connoisseur :) I'd like to hear your opinion/feedback on our bar stools. Also, it'd be swell if you can place our bar stools link on your blog.

Thank you,
Ashley
ashley@regencyshop.com"