Friday, February 15, 2008

a few books go a long way

Here are a couple of treasured books from my childhood whose images have had a great influence on me; I don't know that they inspired me to draw, but they certainly stirred my imagination.
When I outgrew the books, my parents saved them for me and amazingly they survived a fire at their house a few years ago. My poor 'Morris' book looks about a hundred years old! I certainly enjoyed it for a long time, and now I read it to my children.


above: Morris's Disappearing Bag, by Rosemary Wells; 1975, The Dial Press, NY.


above: Jack Kent's Hop Skip and Jump Book, A First Book of Action Words; 1974, Random House, NY.


Here is a book that I gave to my kids titled "Olivia and the Missing Toy", by Ian Falconer. The Olivia series is beautifully illustrated in greyscale with random splashes of color. Perhaps the frugal use of color is what really makes the images pop.
Falconer's use of shadow and contrast is exquisite. I think this is the book that my kids will remember from their own childhood.



above: Olivia and the Missing Toy, by Ian Falconer; 2003, Atheneum Books for Young Readers.


1 comment:

suzanne cabrera said...

So glad to see you posted these. I remember also having a Jack Kent book when I was little...though I think mine was about a dragon...anyway, I love the drawings. The one of the classroom is especially good! Doesn't it remind you of studio? It also reminds me of images from the Berenstain Bears book about going to school. I wanted to hop right on in the image with Sister and Brother bear and play with the clay. Fun, fun!

Great images!